Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Houston, We Have a Problem

Carson and I were goofing around this morning. For better or worse, we were climbing (I use the term we loosely here), Carson was climbing from his trampoline to my bed and then sliding down into the Pack N Play in a sort of obstacle course. I was merely laying on the bed laughing and encouraging him. It was all fun and games until he swung his leg over the edge of the pack n play and climbed back out.

At first I watched to see if he could really do it. I convinced myself that he was only able to do it because he used the comforter and height of the bed in his acrobatics. I dismissed it as a fluke. But then he did it again, and again. I previously posted that novice parents like myself inadvertantly encourage bad behavior by clapping or laughing. Yet here I was, in awe, letting it happen again.

It was funny and exciting and then, the unthinkable happened. He decided to go out the other side. Meaning, no comforter to help him out, no bed to climb UP onto. He simply hooked a leg over the edge, smiled and let go. Done.

We are so screwed.

Let me count the ways. Nap time at friend's homes, gone. Sleeping in the camp trailer, dangerous. We carefully stack his pack n play up on the dining room table in there so the climb out could cause a drop similar to jumping off a bridge.

Jeremy is going to kill me when he finds out that I let this happen. I stood by and laughed while our son taught himself to escape one of the two remaining safe spots. I can only hope and pray (are you listening God) that he does NOT transfer this new skill to the crib. Then WHAT?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Old is Carson?

How Old is Keaton?