Friday, February 20, 2009

Cute and Funny . . . Not So Much

Parenting Error #247: What Seems Cute and Funny in the Heat of the Moment, really is just Inappropriate and Bites You in the Butt at all other Times!!

- Yesterday Carson woke up from his nap. I took off his diaper and asked him to put his underpants back on. He had no interest in the pair from before nap. Apparently only a new pair was acceptable. Unfortunately for him, I have no interest in doing any extra laundry so a new pair was not acceptable for me.

We butted heads for about two minutes. Following my parenting class lessions, I gave him two choices (both of which I would be happy with). The ultimatum (I mean choice), Old Underpants OR you FreeBall It.

I kind of said in passing. Didn't really think about the long term ramifications. Hence Error #247.

C: WHAT?

M: It's your choice (putting the power in his hands). No underpants, Freeball, or old underpants.

C: NO MOMMY! ME NO FREEBALL IT.

M: What is your choice?

C: No underpants.

Daddy comes home 4 hours later.

C: DADDY!! ME FREEBALL IT!!

Daddy NOT happy with Mommy. Mommy looking very sheepish. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The next morning.

M: Okay Carson, time to get dressed for school. Do you want camo underpants or Lightening McQueen underpants? (again with the choices, it's brilliant!)

C: No thank you Mommy. Me Freeball It.

***************************************************************

More Carsonisms:

***** I told Carson that I signed him up for swim lessons and he about burst with excitement in his carseat. First words out of his mouth, "Me growing up Mommy! Me getting big!"

***** While I am known for my ability to pee anywhere (oh yes, maybe you didn't know that about me, but it's true), I don't know what mothers of little girls do when their daughters have to pee at inconvenient times/locations. Carson learned early on to pee standing up and it is a BLESSING!! He gets quite a kick out of his ability when it allows him to pee on random things.

I rescued two dogs off the road a few months back. Poor Carson held his pee as long as he could but finally I let him cut loose in the dogs' owners' flower bed when it became apparent they were not home.

We got home late one night and he clearly had to go "bad". I pulled him out of his carseat and let him pee next to the dog. They both aimed for the grass but mostly hit the driveway.

Yesterday after two hours at the zoo, I was loading the boys into their carseats and Carson announced, "Me peepee!" Heading all the way back into the zoo was NOT an option so Carson dropped his drawers and happily whizzed on my tire.

***** Carson's Good Nite Lite (www.goodnitelite.com) is working wonderfully. I think I've posted about it before but his "alarm clock" is a giant sun. At 7 pm at night, it lights up as a blue moon, aka, time for Night-Night. At 6:45 am, it switches and glows as an orange sun. Carson knows he cannot get out of bed until the sun glows orange.

It has worked magically and we LOVE it! We've recommended it to everyone we know and they all love it too.

Usually, Carson yells out at 6:45, "Mommy! Me wake! Come get me!"

Wonderful. If I'm busy, he yells until I come in. Sometimes if I'm in the middle of breakfast or drying my hair, I'll open his door, say Good Morning, and let him come out on his own. He's really not a morning person and usually takes awhile to get out of bed anyway. He can be really GROUCHO if we try to rush him.

Unfortunately, on Tuesday he decided the Orange Sun means he can get out of bed and come on out, on his own. I keep trying to tell him that he has to wait for me. Not working. I'm not horribly upset about it though because he has been coming out in a fantastic mood!

"Mornin' Mommy! Me Wake!" is the first thing he says! Plus I don't feel guilty if I didn't hear him calling for me right away. Just another sign that he is growing up!

***** Carson is infatuated with his Daddy's scuba mask and intriguied with the fact that it allowed Daddy to see Nemo and Bruce the Shark (Google Disney's Nemo if you aren't following this) in Hawaii. He begged for his own mask.

I randomly passed kid sized goggles at Fred Meyer and couldn't leave without them. I had NO idea that goggles are as critical to getting dressed as underpants. They are on his head 24/7. They go to school. They take a bath. They go to bed.

And yesterday, they went to the zoo. He got more attention than the two headed snake! Every person who passed him had to oooh and aahh over the "adorable little boy with goggles on". Did I mention they're neon green?

***** I promise I'll take pictures soon. Clearly we've fallen off the wagon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Old is Carson?

How Old is Keaton?